Sunday, April 3, 2016

March Wrap-up

March was National Women's Month, so I said I'd only read books by female authors.

I read four books from my own shelves: Beetles, Lightly Toasted by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, Death by Darjeeling by Laura Childs, I Feel Bad About My Neck and I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron.

I also read two books from the Asian Center library: Nick Bantock's Griffin and Sabine, and Frances Mayes' Under the Tuscan Sun. It was particularly frustrating to read the latter while eating microwave pasta with pesto from a powder mix. 

This month I read a lot of e-books, as I'd given up Tumblr for Lent and then spent a lot of time in queues or waiting for my tardy professors. The ones I didn't cover in the WWW post are:
  • Anatomy of a Misfit by Andrea Portes
  • The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
  • Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
  • The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
  • Uprooted by Naomi Novik
  • The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
  • Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen
  • Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
  • Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
  • Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
  • Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen
  • Act Like It by Lucy Parker
  • After You by Jojo Moyes
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
  • I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson
  • 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

National Women's Month reading was mostly successful. I only read two books by men, one because it was a serendipitous library find and the other because my sister and I swapped tablets for an hour. I also bought a lot of books this month, mostly from secondhand stores. Here are some of them: 
Foodie board books, ostensibly for future children or godchildren
Old-school Winnie the Pooh, for the same purpose.
Two middle-grade favorites I wanted to reread.
Middle grade and middle age: A Tita Tea-time mystery, and the novel a favorite movie (Aquamarine) was based on, apparently.
Two serious-looking books, to play at being an adult
Earlier today I cleaned out my shelves at home. This is what 198 books look like, in semi-random stacks (stack stability was the major consideration). I have 20-30 books hidden elsewhere. 
These piles look a lot neater in the photo than in real life.
April is National Filipino Literature Month, so I plan on reading some Filipino books. April 9 is also Araw ng Kagitingan, so I figure I'll read something 'heroic' (valorous?), or maybe just go for a biography or two. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© Someday this will be a book blog
Maira Gall