Monday, April 18, 2016

10 Books That Made Me Laugh (Top Ten Tuesday #1)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme by The Broke and the Bookish.

1. The Georgia Nicolson series by Louise Rennison (from the original post)
This was delightfully shallow and irreverent, and Georgia inspired me to try and come up with my own slang.

2. The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
All the puns were so dry and yet felt like the author was winking and pulling faces all the time, and it all made me giggle so much.

3. The Anastasia Krupnik series by Lois Lowry
Criminally underrated, in my opinion, though it might be because of how old the series is. Anastasia is pretty self-absorbed, but it's still funny when she gets brought back down to earth.

4. Be Frank with Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson
Frank's antics are adorable and hilarious, even as you realize that they might be "symptoms"

5. Spoiled and Messy by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan
The Fug Girls have always been known for their special brand of snark, and it's delightful in YA fiction. The usual high school drama, and out-and-out enjoyment of how absurd it all is.

6. Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
Blabbing all your secrets to a complete stranger is already terrible enough, but having him come back to haunt you makes for the kind of awkward situation that brings about a lot of giggles.

7. The Bartimaeus sequence by Jonathan Stroud
This was a new approach to the world of magic for me, but the main charm of the book was Bartimaeus and his endless insults and complaints.

8. The Wayside School series by Louis Sachar
Nonstop silliness! I read this with my little sister when she was just learning to read, and we both loved it.

9. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
The Mindy Project led me to this book, which had the same trademark sass and self-absorption.

10. Hold Me Closer by David Levithan
The wordplay in this one really cracked me up. I got into imagining the musical actually being staged.

Wow, it's really hard to come up with ten funny books/series! Most of the books I remember as funny were read in my childhood or high school years.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Someday this will be a book blog
Maira Gall