Tuesday, April 26, 2016

WWW Wednesday 5

This meme/link-up is hosted by Taking on a World of Words

What are you currently reading?
I just started reading The Shell Collector by Anthony Doerr. It's been interesting so far.

What did you recently finish reading?
Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George was magical. A sentient castle helping the royal family defend the kingdom reminds me both of Hogwarts and of JARVIS. My only nitpick might be that it doesn't really feature Tuesdays that much, but that's me taking book titles too literally.


In the Country: Stories by Mia Alvar was an easier read than Jessica Zafra's short stories because the characters were more fleshed out, with someone you could actually pinpoint as having a central role. It was odd, though, how much "local flavor" was infused into the stories, like there was some "authentic" reference to dried fish or pad paper sold by the page in each sentence. Another thing that didn't sit well with me was how she wrote about a country I didn't know. The cultural references were right, but she wrote about Martial Law and the first People Power Revolution (which happened thirty years ago) and the lives of migrant workers/OFWs and their families. 

What do you think you'll read next?
I don't know, actually. April is almost over and I don't feel as pressed to focus on Filipino fiction. 

3 comments

  1. I love things that remind me of Harry Potter. I was so stubborn not to read the books sooner.

    https://girlof1000wonders.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/www-wednesdays-april-27/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read 'All The Light We Cannot See' but I didn't know Doerr had other books out. What do you think of it? Happy reading and thanks for participating in WWW Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been good so far! The titular character reminds me of Marie-Laure.

      Delete

© Someday this will be a book blog
Maira Gall