Sunday, January 13, 2019

My 2019 reading plans


I'm not doing the Goodreads reading challenge this year. Not coming up with any prompts for a Bookbed reading challenge, either. I won't be pushing myself to read new things this year at all.
Part of it is because I failed all my challenges for last year. Reading just wasn't a priority the way it was in 2017. I dove deeper into a new hobby, made new friends who shared similar obsessions, and took more pleasure in journaling than in reading.
Part of it is because I read David Cain's article about the Depth Year, and it resonated with me. I want to reread the books I've kept on my shelves and faithfully dusted for years; I want to burn my TBR pile to the ground.
Part of it is because whenever I'm upset or overwhelmed, I go to my bookmarks and reread the same 55,000 word fanfic I've been reading since 2016.(It's a rarepair, 6 works in that tag with 5 by the same author and the last one as a gift to that author. You're never alone in your obsessions, not on the internet.) I don't look forward to new books that much anymore; I want familiar, I want predictable, I want clear tagging and warning systems on every paperback cover.
For all this grumpiness, all these complaints, I still bought two books and a magazine on January 2 of this year. They're how-to books on creativity and journaling, and I've only finished the magazine so far.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Someday this will be a book blog
Maira Gall