Friday, May 5, 2017

I Shall Not Be Moved by Maya Angelou

I just finished reading I Shall Not Be Moved by Maya Angelou. "Our Grandmothers" is beautiful. Another favorite of mine, "They Ask Why," is shorter so I'll put it here.

They Ask Why

A certain person wondered why
a big strong girl like me
wouldn't keep a job
which paid a normal salary.
I took my time to lead her
and to read her every page.
Even minimal people
can't survive on minimal wage.

A certain person wondered why
I wait all week for you.
I didn't have the words
to describe just what you do.
I said you had the motion
of the ocean in your walk,
and when you solve my riddles
you don't even have to talk.


I don't read much literary criticism so I don't know how to critique a poem, but this one (and most of her poetry, honestly) sound like singing to me.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Someday this will be a book blog
Maira Gall