Thursday, April 20, 2017

Shelf Control: Anthem for Doomed Youth by Wilfred Owen

Welcome to Shelf Control — an original feature created and hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies.

Shelf Control is a weekly celebration of the unread books on our shelves. Pick a book you own but haven’t read, write a post about it (suggestions: include what it’s about, why you want to read it, and when you got it), and link up! Fore more info on what Shelf Control is all about, check out the introductory post by Lisa of Bookshelf Fantasies, here.

 This week I'm writing about Anthem for Doomed Youth by Wilfred Owen, a selection of war poetry published under Penguin Little Black Classics.

'Tonight he noticed how the women's eyes
Passed from him to the strong men that were whole.'

The true horror of the trenches is brought to life in this selection of poetry from the front line.

How I got it: This was part of the bookstore receipt amount I needed for the discount card.
When I got it: Maybe six months ago.
Why I got it: Little Black Classics have always been tempting for me. They're so small and cheap, the perfect travel companion, and though I don't always enjoy minimalism in book covers, it makes sense for large collections such as this, and where I feel any sort of embellishment would overwhelm the tiny book. But this volume was particularly enticing, since I'd read a snippet from the titular poem in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. That was my favorite letter from that book, so I just had to get this.  

(I'm actually halfway through this volume by now, but just got around to finishing this entry today. Hope it still counts.)

1 comment

  1. Powerful. I don't typically appreciate poetry, but this sounds really moving and important. Great selection!

    ReplyDelete

© Someday this will be a book blog
Maira Gall