Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Ten Books I Picked Out On A Whim (Top Ten Tuesday #4)


I do most of my book shopping in secondhand bookstores and bargain bins, so on a whim actually just means whatever I found there that I hadn't heard of before but decided to buy anyway.

1. The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea by Mark Haddon: This has the prettiest cover art, and it was wrapped in plastic so I didn't realize it was a book of poetry.

2. The Dog Stars by Peter Heller: I also picked this out for the cover art.

3. A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs by Ellis Peters: I don't usually buy mysteries, but this had the coolest old-timey stained glass-esque cover art. 

4. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys: I haven't read Jane Eyre, but the hipster-style photograph overlaid with white text really appealed to me.

5. Astray by Emma Donoghue: The title was evocative of something restless and adventurous but also sad, so I got it.

6. Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut: This was such a dumb choice. I didn't even read the blurb, just remembered the fascinating unit in high school biology on Darwin and evolution and decided this would probably be just as cool.

7. Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier: My first Chevalier! The painting/painter was mentioned in Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett, so I took a chance on this book, and she ended up being one of my go-to authors.

8. The Principles of Uncertainty by Maira Kalman: I borrowed this from the library because I was really amazed to find a graphic novel in the social sciences and philosophy shelves.

9. Remember the Tarantella by Finnola Moorhead: I haven't read this yet, but the blurb said it was written with only female characters, which seemed interesting. 

10. One Hundred Names for Love by Diane Ackerman: What a title. Just, what a title.


No comments

Post a Comment

© Someday this will be a book blog
Maira Gall